GlaxoSmithKline North Building
Research Triangle Park, North Carolina
On Site Air Handler Replacement Shutdown
3 months for design and fabrication, 2 days in the field
EAS was contracted to provide the complete demolition of an existing nominal 78,000 CFM AHU and for the design, fabrication, and installation of a custom 75,000 CFM AHU. Although the existing AHU was not that old, the galvanized construction and other features that were originally specified for this AHU had ultimate evolved to a badly corroded state. From the P&ID’s provided by the owner’s consulting engineer, and a performance criteria specification, EAS provided the detailed design, off-site construction, and installation of the entirely new AHU system. The job included the utility piping, concrete work, electrical power wiring, ductwork, startup, testing, BMS controls and interface with the existing Johnson Metasys system.
1. 78,000 CFM System, overall 31’ x 24’ 8” x 14’
2. System shutdown began on a Friday night with system startup taking place on Sunday afternoon.
3. The AHU was fully integrated with piping, electrical and controls in a full length service corridor which were installed in the EAS plant prior to shipment of the sections.
4. Variable Frequency Drives, BMS controls panel and control devices were all pre-installed, pre-wired and pre-tested in the EAS plan prior to shipment.
(1) 78,000 CFM Air handler
(1) 75 HP, Class III DWDI supply fan with Variable Frequency Drive
Full length, 7’ 10” wide service vestibule to house systems piping and electrical assemblies with (1) 3.3 KW electric heater with thermostat
All aluminum construction dampers and intake louver, epoxy coated face and bypass steam coils, copper tube/aluminum fin cooling coils, pre and final filters, steam condensate pump, up to 8” chilled water piping and up to 6” steam piping, all aluminum air handling unit fabricated on an all-aluminum base
Extensive up front coordination, design and planning allowed EAS to complete another critical shutdown replacement project without any complications or delays