FIELD PIPE WELDER/FOREMAN
Field Pipe Welder/Foreman
Project site Pipe Superintendent
All welders under the trade of piping are required to pass certifications tests on; Carbon Steel Schedule 40 Pipe, open root joint, and in the 6G, fixed position. Welds performed must meet ASME Sec IX Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code requirements. The process most frequently used in the field applications is Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW). Welders must know what type of rod they are to be using since EAS procedures dictate a change in rod type between weld layers. Field pipe welders are required to make most welds in position. This means that the joint to be welded could be elevated and in its final location requiring the welder to position him/her self around the joint to be welded in such a way as to complete the weld joint. Joints can be located in spaces where access can be limited by elevation, proximity to other trades, and or the weather. Company requirements for Pipe Foreman are; knowledgeable in blueprint reading; needs to be able to research project specifications. Must have safety knowledge of tools, machinery, and equipment related to piping. Must show managerial skills when assigning work projects for skilled craftsmen. Knowledge of company related policies involving employee’s safety and health issues. Ability to schedule, document, and complete all assigned projects related to piping. Pipe Foreman must be knowledgeable in craft related materials and correct installation of such materials. Must have good communication skills. Foreman must display ability to correct mistakes, use correct judgment in assessing dangers or safety issues. Pipe foreman duties also involve testing systems for integrity and validating such testing using company procedures and documents.
Job responsibilities include:
- Capabilities of welding in different environments where mechanical piping installation is preformed
- Must be capable of welding various positions requiring safety oriented procedures
- Must be knowledgeable of welding equipment and posses welding attire
- Capable of performing 100% weld quality in all positions
- Minimum of a high school education or equivalent
- This Position requires a minimum of five (5) years of Pipe Welding experience
JOB REQUIREMENTS/SPECIAL SKILLS
- Requires working in conditions of varying heat and cold and where noise levels are at or above 90 decibels.
- Courses in construction safety are a requirement.
Pipe Field Superintendent